James is the founder of Matthies Lawyers. He is an Australian qualified Lawyer, with a passion for helping individuals and business owners resolve their personal family and business disputes and plan for the future. He has been acting for clients in Melbourne, Australia since 2006, and was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Victoria and the High Court of Australia after completing his articled clerkship and gaining a Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University.
James believes it is important to get to know a client well at the beginning of their matter, to gain a clear understanding of the client’s desired outcomes and the situation that has led them to seek legal assistance, so that a plan of action can be formulated in conjunction with the client. James established Matthies Lawyers to offer a quality service at a reasonable cost, and believes that the boutique nature of the firm allows for the ultimate bespoke client experience. James is a skilled negotiator and a formidable opponent in litigation.
Connellan v Murphy  Victoria Supreme Court of Appeal 116 22 May 2017
Acted for the successful Applicant to the Court of Appeal to achieve a permanent stay on a personal injury and damages claim for alleged sexual assault on the grounds that it would be plainly unjust if the claim were allowed to proceed on the basis of the evidence before the Court.
A copy of the full decision can be accessed here: Connellan v Murphy  VSCA 116 (22 May 2017)
- Defending an oppression claim brought by a minority shareholder in the Supreme Court of Victoria
- Acting for a high net worth husband in a family law matter involving company valuations, division 7A loans, children’s matters and the division of marital property
- Acting for a business owner to bring and settle an oppression claim resolved with a favourable sale of their stake in the business by our client
- Acting for a party involved in a property investment scheme to resolve a dispute with co-investors in the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Acting for mortgagees in recovery proceedings in the Supreme and County Courts
- Acting for claimants in Part IV applications seeking a greater share of deceased estates
- Winding up applications against companies on the basis of insolvent trading via the Supreme Court of Victoria
- Acting for the creditor of an individual to appoint an interim trustee pending resolution of bankruptcy proceedings against the individual.
- Claim by a liquidator against a director of a company for insolvent trading and for misuse of company funds
- Wills, Powers of Attorney and Estate Planning
- Commercial advice to startup founders
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) Monash University
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) Monash University
- Admitted to practice as a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria
- Admitted to practice as a Solicitor of the High Court of Australia
Contact Matthies Lawyers to arrange an obligation free consultation.